Thursday, September 26, 2013

Recipe of the week - Indian Lentil Sauté from bevcooks.com

It isn't easy being vegan, especially when you fall into the habit of making the same meals over and over again out of comfort and convenience. In order to break out of my repetitive "shell", I decided to give Pinterest a go, and have since found an array of exciting and original recipes just waiting to be tested!


During the time that I fell into the never-ending trap of pinning, I was in search of great recipes that were not only Vegan, but appropriate for those on the Specific Carbohydrate Plan, which I was attempting for the first time. 


One recipe in particular has become a new favorite of mine: an Indian Lentil Sauté with Kale and Asparagus from bevcooks.com. It has proven itself time and time again, not only because it's easy to make with just a few ingredients, but it's delicious every single time I make it!

Bev does a much better job of photographing her process of preparing this dish, but here's the version I cooked up this evening:



The original recipe, (found here: http://bevcooks.com/2012/05/indian-lentil-saute-with-kale-and-asparagus/) calls for green lentils, but I've decided to swap them for pre-soaked (or sprouted) lentils, which you can purchase from Whole Foods in the bulk aisle. They're so much faster to cook up (only take about 10-15 minutes, compared to the 30+ minutes for dry lentils), so they're suitable for an after-work cooking session, when time is limited.

I've also modified the dish in other ways, by adding baked or fried sweet potatoes, butternut squash, spinach, rainbow chard, tomatoes, and/or brown rice. The rice helps as a filler if you want to stretch it out over a larger group and/or several lunches during the week. It stays pretty fresh, and is also delicious as a salad when tossed with butter lettuce.

There's just something about the combination of curry powder and fresh-squeezed lemon juice that makes the flavors of the dish really pop, and one that I'm eager and excited to refer back to time and time again!

Thank you Bev! This recipe really rocks!

I hope you feel inclined to give it a try! You won't regret it! :)

-Sam

Check out more Vegan and SCD-friendly recipes on my Pinterest Board, The Hungry Vegan