Sunday, September 22, 2013

Back at the Ranch


Every few months I have the pleasure of visiting my old horse, Uno. At 21 years of age, he's been in the family for 17. Uno and I used to compete together across the state of Arizona, Nevada, and even Texas. He pretty much taught me everything I know about horsemanship, as he is most likely one of the smartest equines I've ever met. Over the years of standard domestic horse-care, we slowly discovered that providing these animals with a more "natural" habitat (i.e. space + other horses + constant forage + barefoot hooves) was truly the way to go. So we stumbled upon a ranch that met our specifications, and for the last 3 years, we've been making the drive (roughly 4.5 hours from where I reside) up the mountains to the little oasis. Not only do we get to see our beloved friend, Uno, but we get the added benefit of completely de-stressing and recharging our own juices. It's heavenly.

Here are some photos taken during my last visit:


All photos by Samantha Jane Samuels, Copyright ® 2013